I am pleased the T4 line and T8 Airport Line are the first beneficiaries of the signalling upgrade as part of the $880 million investment in technology improvements to modernise the Sydney Trains network. This signalling technology will get more trains on the tracks, significantly boosting capacity and reliability for all train customers.
These upgrades will be delivered in stages with services coming online progressively from the early 2020s.
I have previously stated that this is not an easy fix as our rail network is complex and reliant on old technologies, which limits the number of services we can provide. However this significant investment ensures we can continue to meet the growing demand for rail services.
The initial investment of $880 million goes towards developing and starting deployment of digital systems to replace legacy signalling and train control with modern, internationally proven, intelligent systems.
In response to recent growth in demand on the T4 Illawarra and T8 Airport lines the program will initially prioritise work to prepare the network to deliver:
- Up to 30 per cent increase in peak suburban services on the T4 Illawarra Line, as well as more services for South Coast customers.
- More services for the T8 Airport Line, including a potential 80 per cent increase at the International, Domestic, Mascot and Green Square stations during the morning peak, as well as extra services from Revesby and Campbelltown in south west Sydney.
It will also be used for planning the initial stages of the T4 and T8 program, which over the next 10 years will deliver:
- More services that will reduce wait times, meet demand and provide more seats for long distance customers.
- Faster travel times for customers through digital train control technology and upgraded rail infrastructure, creating more opportunities for express trains.
- Improved reliability and reduce customer impacts from incidents
The first phase of the More Trains, More Services’ program saw a capital investment of over $1.5 billion by the NSW Government to provide an significant uplift in customer services on Sydney’s rail network.
Since coming to Government the NSW Liberals & Nationals have added an additional 30,000 public transport services.
Please Click here for more information.